Happy holiday, Dennis. I have two answers to this question - pick one!

First, the recognition that all of statistics, but particularly
inference, is about providing, and assessing the strength of, evidence -
in circumstances where some measurement(s) can sensibly be defined, and
these measurements are in some manner repeated - as to the probable
usefulness of some proposal about those measurements.

That one comes out fairly clumsy, as a result of trying to be very
careful. You may prefer my second answer:

The recognition that all concepts/procedures/skills in statistics are
closely interrelated and you cannot sensibly pick out one!

Regards,
Alan

Dennis Roberts wrote:

> on this near holiday ... at least in the usa ... i wonder if you might
> consider for a moment:
>
> what is the SINGLE most valuable concept/procedure/skill (just one!) ...
> that you would think is most important  when it comes to passing along to
> students studying "inferential statistics"
>
> what i am mainly looking for would be answers like:
>
> the notion of ________
>
> being able to do ______
>
> that sort of thing
>
> something that if ANY instructor in stat, say at the introductory level
> failed to discuss and emphasize ... he/she is really missing the boat and
> doing a disservice to students

> dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
> 208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm

> Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
> the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

Alan McLean ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics
Monash University, Caulfield Campus, Melbourne
Tel:  +61 03 9903 2102    Fax: +61 03 9903 2007