In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rich Ulrich  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Nov 2001 10:24:54 -0600, Bill Jefferys
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dennis Roberts) wrote:

>> #on this near holiday ... at least in the usa ... i wonder if you might
>> #consider for a moment:
>> #
>> #what is the SINGLE most valuable concept/procedure/skill (just one!) ...
>> #that you would think is most important  when it comes to passing along to
>> #students studying "inferential statistics"
>> #
>> #what i am mainly looking for would be answers like:
>> #
>> #the notion of ________
>> #
>> #being able to do ______

>> I'd say "the notion of inverse probability", but of course that's
>> because of where I am coming from :-)

>I'd say, being able to re-frame the researcher's
>fuzzy curiosity as a "testable hypothesis"  -- I think
>*that*  is where you get the probability that is to be inverted.
>Good hypothesizing would not be so valuable except
>that it is  rare.  And there are so many people who are
>close to it, and need it.  So it ought to be valuable, as
>a commodity in demand.

This is even PRE-statistics.

>As a commodity, at least, "the notion of inverse
>probability"  is less valuable because it is out of reach.
>It is of concern, I think, to the people who have
>finally achieved a p-value, and wonder what to do next.

On the contrary, the notion of inverse probability is
a probability concept, and understanding probability
needs to come well before trying to do a statistics.
How can one discuss a p-value, which is a probability
statement, otherwise?  Understanding probability does
NOT mean being able to compute it.

I do not advocate the rash calculation of inverse
probabilities with respect to a convenient prior, but the
use of preassigned p-values as decision criteria fail on
even a cursory use of a decision formulation.  No
calculations are required.  The p-value is considered,
along with other statistics.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558