On 19 Nov 2001 20:56:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A.J. Rossini)
wrote:

>     RS> And if I may muddy the waters even more, what is the
>     RS> difference between biostatistics and biometry?  Dick
>
> Depends on which definition of "biometry" you are using.  One
> definition used to be an older name for what is now biostatistics (and
> what might again become biometry, according to how some in the field
> want to rename it again to make it more relevant to measurement and
> design).  That's a nice murky response, which shows how our language
> is ill-defined.
>
> There are other definitions, which have little to do with statistics.

I was a little startled by my google search.  "Definition of
biometry"  gets the Cornell Department of Biometrics, and a
couple of other things, among only 6 hits.

"Definition of biometrics" returns dozens of references to
security systems, fingerprints and retinal scans, etc.  That
is a definition that seems to be winning out, owing to its
new, computerized, commercial potential.

There were no hits that would make me think of the
journal named Biometrika, which I remember as being
highly mathematical.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html