In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Christopher Tong  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 11 Dec 2001, Herman Rubin wrote:

>> Most courses in physics are courses in mathematical physics.

>This is blatantly incorrect.  Courses called "Mathematical Methods of
>Physics" are common, and some courses are called "Mathematical
>Physics" even though they are really methods courses.  But these
>are not true mathematical physics courses.

>It IS true that most physics courses are theoretical courses,
>and that physical theory is always formulated mathematically.
>It is NOT true that these courses are Mathematical Physics courses,
>because such are courses where one proves mathematical theorems,
>usually involving functional analysis, Lie groups/algebras,
>differential geometry, category theory, et al.

This is a matter of terminology.  There are few mathematics
courses, unfortunately, which prove theorems.  Probably most
mathematics majors are college juniors before having to prove
a theorem themselves.  I would not be all that surprised if
physics majors knew mathematical concepts at least as well
as mathematics majors.

--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558