At 02:20 PM 12/14/01 -0500, Wuensch, Karl L wrote:

>I came across a table of costume jewelry at a department store with a sign
>that said "150% off. "  I asked them how much they would pay me to take it
>all off of their hands.  I had to explain to them what 150% meant, and
>they then explained to me how percentages are computed in the retail
>trade:  Then we cut it in half again.  Now we have cut it in half a third
>time.  50% + 50% + 50% = 150% off.

well, if the item was originally $100 ... and you really like this item ...
it still means it would be $12.50 ... sounds like a good deal to me!!

they might be ILLITERATE statistically but, you still are making out like a
bandit!

this is sort of like some statistical TEXTbooks that no one really wants
... that end up in bargain shelves in some clearance kinds of bookstores

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm