In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Donald Burrill
wrote:

> > > ...  if they advertise a 150% discount directly, without referring
> > > to the sequence of three 50% discounts, might they not be liable to
> > > legal action for misrepresentation?
>
> > I would tell the clerk in the store, "Ah, you get 150% off by taking
> > 75%-off of 75%-off.  I'll take it." (1/16 price vs. 50%-off 50%-off
> > 50%-off =1/8 price).
>
> Why settle for 1/16?  Take 60% off after 90% off.  Or 55% after 95%.
> Or 50% after 100%, which ought to underline the illogic even for
> arithmetically illiterate retailers.
>
>                       -- DFB.
>  Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-471-7128

This leads to a nice quiz question:  what way of taking 150% off is most
advantageous to the seller, and what is the most advantageous way for the
buyer?  Are there single optima or multiple or continuous optima, or none?
(The answer will appear upside down at the bottom of the page ;-)

Lee Altenberg, Ph.D.
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]