On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Jill Binker wrote:

> If remark about putting numbers on a single line is referring to:
>
> >"They record the results of their mental calculations using a
> > horizontal format." For example, 86+57=86+50+7=136+7=143.
>
> Then I see nothing wrong with this (and it has NOTHING to do with what
> sorts of paper you bank will be sending you -- you're confusing purposes
> here: what configuration helps young children learn v. what's the most
> efficient way to present the story of the ebb and flow of my money).

> Jill Binker
> Fathom Dynamic Statistics Software
> KCP Technologies, an affiliate of
> Key Curriculum Press
> 1150 65th St
> Emeryville, CA  94608
> 1-800-995-MATH (6284)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.keypress.com
> http://www.keycollege.com

Sorry. You're right of course about the need for intuitive understanding.
I think I was particularly grouchy after a tough term, and too many
attempts to explain to students that in some circumstances "about right"
is not good enough, and that by starting and proceeding logically and
carefully they could be exactly right, often with less effort.

J.E.H.Shaw   [Ewart Shaw]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     TEL: +44 2476 523069
  Department of Statistics,  University of Warwick,  Coventry CV4 7AL,  U.K.
  http://www.warwick.ac.uk/statsdept/Staff/JEHS/