On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:11:01 GMT, Doug Federman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I have a dilemma which I haven't found a good solution for.  I work with
> students who rotate with different preceptors on a monthly basis.  A
> student will have at least 12 evaluations over a year's time.  A
> preceptor usually will evaluate several students over the same year.
> Unfortunately, the preceptors rarely agree on the grades.  One preceptor
> is biased towards the middle of the 1-9 likert scale and another may be
> biased towards the upper end.  Rarely, does a given preceptor use the 1-9
> range completely.  I suspect that a 6 from an "easy" grader is equivalent
> to a 3 from a "tough" grader.

Huge rater-differences?  that implies that you can't keep the
original 1-9  and be fair.  Doesn't it?  And you can't trust the
labels stuck with the original 1-9.

> I have considered using ranks to give a better evaluation for a given
> student, but I have a serious constraint.  At the end of each year, I
> must submit to another body their evaluation on the original 1-9 scale,
> which is lost when using ranks.
>
> Any suggestions?

The original 1-9  seems to have no rational anchor, if the
raters can vary between by 3 points on a standard.
So, you average your ranks;
sort the students that way;
compute and list their raw averages along with rank averages.

If extreme HIGH scores or LOW scores are important,
you could avoid ranks.
(a) Simply rescore each preceptor to have an average of 5, or
(b) normalize each preceptor by mean and standard deviation.

Assume ranking.
I think, from that step, I might assign the
mid-average to the mid-rank -- this would have
the effect of anchoring my eventual, final report
to the same range the raters used.  (Assuming this
matters.)  Then I would work my way to the extremes,
'grading by the curve.'   -- If you are trying to respect
the labels on the 1-9 Likert, you have to consider
what they actually *say*.  You might justify giving
the best  student a '9'  despite an average of 6.9  if
the label says "best, consistent performance."

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html