[ rearranging to the usual order, with Reply at the bottom ]

> Chia C Chong wrote:
> >
> > Hi!!
> >
> > I have a set of data with some kind of distribution. When I plotted the
> > histogram density of this set of data, it looks sth like the
> > Weibull/Exp/Gamma distribution. I find the parameters that best fit the data
> > and then, plot the respective distribution using the estimated parameters on
> > the empirical distribution. My question is, what kind of statistical test
> > that I should  ...
   [ ... ]

On 14 Jan 2002 08:15:35 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kjetil
halvorsen) wrote:

> A quantile-Quantile plot for graphical comparison is best, if you need a
> numerical test you can use the pearson correlation coefficient between
> the observed and expected quantiles. A table for that test you can  ake
> for yourself with simulation.

No, I think that advice is not good, in this instance.  Someone
else has mentioned that these three belong to the same family
so that it is possible and most desirable to solve for the value
of the parameter that distinguishes them.

The correlation between those 'quantiles' -- That (I think)
gets you a test like the Shapiro-Wilks  which is a fine test for
normality when you compare correlations across a range of
deviant samples.  I don't remember its analog being used
for testing between theoretical  CDFs; and I suspect it is inferior
to other approaches for (say) strongly skewed distributions.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html