On 14 Feb 2002 17:14:24 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Souers)
wrote:

> I have another question regarding one-way ANOVA. I have noticed
> that in some books, nothing is said about what you can do when the
> factor level variances are unequal. In Neter's big book,
> transformations are recommended. "

Well, there are a lot of excuses for comparing *two*  means.
It is tougher to make up reasons why you ought to compare
more than two, when they are arbitrary sets of numbers that
are not well-behaved.  For instance, they are  *potentially*
well behaved, in my book, if they simply happen to have been
recorded or measured in the wrong units/ scale -- so they
will be fixed by transformation.  You probably ought to be
re-thinking your whole scientific hypothesis and test, if
your problem is worse than that.

> If the data are approximately normal, why not just use a
> Satterthwaite approximate t-statistic for pairwise comparisons?
> For example, you could use a Bonferroni type procedure.
> What are people's opinions about this approach?"

You can see my comments (today)  on another thread,
about t-tests.  If Ns are equal, it doesn't matter which test.
So you might as well use the regular apparatus.  If they
are not, both tests are fairly rotten by one-tailed criteria.

By the way:  What clinical research uses in followup testing
for unequal N   is either  Bonferroni correction, or one or
another  *approximation* (which may not be very good).
(I think I would never trust 'exact procedures' that may
have been designed for unequal N, generically.)

Personally, I try to do important tests and avoid Bonferroni.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html