This is a good idea, Dennis. I would like to see the sequence start with
the binomial - in a very real way, the normal occurs naturally as an
'approximation' to the binomial.

Alan

Dennis Roberts wrote:

> Back in 1970, Glass and Stanley in their excellent Statistical Methods in
> Education and Psychology book, Prentice-Hall ... had an excellent chapter
> on several of the more important distributions used in statistical work
> (normal, chi square, F, and t) and developed how each was derived from the
> other(s). Most recent books do not develop distributions in this fashion
> anymore: they tend to discuss distributions ONLY when a specific test is
> discussed. I have found this to be a more disjointed treatment.
>
> Anyway, I have developed a handout that parallels their chapter, and have
> used Minitab to do simulation work that supplements what they have presented.
>
> The first form of this can be found in a PDF file at:
>
> http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/papers/statdist2.PDF
>
> Now, there is still some editing work to do AND, working with the spacing
> of text. Acrobat does not allow too much in the way of EDITING features
> and, trying to edit the original document and then convert to pdf, is also
> somewhat of a hit and miss operation.
>
> When I get an improved version with better spacing, I will simply copy over
> the file above.
>
> In the meantime, I would appreciate any feedback about this document and
> the general thrust of it.
>
> Feel free to pass the url along to students and others; copy freely and use
> if you find this helpful.
>
> Dennis Roberts, 208 Cedar Bldg., University Park PA 16802
> <Emailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> WWW: http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm
> AC 8148632401

Alan McLean ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics
Monash University, Caulfield Campus, Melbourne
Tel:  +61 03 9903 2102    Fax: +61 03 9903 2007