not to disagree with alan but, my goal was to parallel what glass and
stanley did and that is all ...seems like there are all kinds of
distributions one might discuss AND, there may be more than one order that
is acceptable

most books of recent vintage (and g and s was 1970) don't even discuss what
g and s did

but, just for clarity sake ... are you saying that the nd is a logical
SECOND step TO the binomial or, that if you look at the binomial, one could
(in many circumstances of n and p) say that the binomial is essentially a
nd (very good approximation).. ?

the order i had for the nd, chis square, F and t seemed to make sense but,
i don't necessarily buy that one NEED to START with the binominal

certainly, however, if one talks about the binomial, then the link to the
nd is a must

At 06:36 PM 2/17/02 -0500, Timothy W. Victor wrote:
>I also think Alan's idea is sound. I start my students off with some
>binomial expansion theory.
>
>Alan McLean wrote:
> >
> > This is a good idea, Dennis. I would like to see the sequence start with
> > the binomial - in a very real way, the normal occurs naturally as an
> > 'approximation' to the binomial.

Dennis Roberts, 208 Cedar Bldg., University Park PA 16802
<Emailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
WWW: http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm
AC 8148632401