Dr Jonathan Newman wrote:

> I'm trying to find a good introduction to REML (restricted maximum
> likelihood).  I'm a biologist rather than a statistician.  If you have any
> suggestions I'd great appreciate hearing them.  Thanks.

Lynch & Walsh (1998)?  (Genetic Analysis of Quantitative Traits, Chapter
27).  I'm not sure how useful it is - I came via a different route.
Alternatively, you could try the Genstat manuals.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
Metapopulation Research Group

!!!  Note: my address has changed.  So has my phone number, but I've no
idea what the new one is.
tel: +358 9 191 28779      mobile: +358 50 599 0540
fax: +358 9 191 57694    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<http://www.helsinki.fi/science/metapop/> is where it's not at

It is being said of a certain poet, that though he tortures the English
language, he has still never yet succeeded in forcing it to reveal his
meaning
- Beachcomber