Certainly, Jeff, Wes, Jupyter offer and interesting environment
to develop teaching and learning materials, and for much
more. And I have used it:

1.- http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/rojassergio/Aprendiendo-a-programar-en-Py
thon-con-mi-computador/blob/master/Instalando_python.ipynb

2.- http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/rojassergio/Learning-Scipy/blob/master/Ot
her_IPythonNotes/Numerical_Computing_via_IPython.ipynb

3.- https://github.com/rojassergio/Aprendiendo-a-programar-en-Python-con-mi-comp
utador/blob/master/Jornastec2017_SergioRojas_static.pdf

What bothers me is compatibility within Jupyter versions. I am not
sure where Jupyther development is taking into account users
of the platform.

As I prefer Latex
for writing, many things that use to work when I first wrote some of
my notebooks does not work properly in newer versions. An example is shown
in the second notebook listed above. Scrolling down to the
set of equations defining the "Atractor de Lorenz"
(just after input cell In [6]:), the shown box should not be there.
Only the brace enclosing the equations is suppose to appear, as it did
when I first wrote that notebook.  Also many labels of plots using
Latex does not work anymore when using Jupyter to display Matplotlib plots.

So, writing a large project does not seems to be a good idea to do so
in Jupyter. Even Python compatibility between versions should be
considered at front when starting writing large Python programming
projects (I still can compile and run fortran 77 code I wrote
back in the 90's).

Sergio