Are there unit tests for the supported operations?
Is the UI logic a separate testable unit?
Does it just fatal exception when parsing fails; or does the REPL loop
catch the e.g. Value error?

Instead of a CLI eval wrapper with regex, you could use ipywidgets in a
notebook:
https://ipywidgets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/Using%20Interact.html
https://ipywidgets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/Widget%20List.html

You can pair a notebook to a markdown file with jupytext so that the
notebook autosaves as markdown, which works with mailman 3 mailing list
archives