Hi Kirby,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

> I've added a section to my evolving "elite school" repo listing courses and
> curriculum
> using Jupyter Notebooks, as I want to impress upon my students that this is
> how
> some of the better schools / teachers are currently sharing material.
>
> I want to impress them with the fact that we're learning some best practices.

I think that among the researchers I mix with we’re using a mix of Python
scripts and Jupyter notebooks. For beginners, however, the notebooks do seem to
be quite handy, especially when we ask the students to explain what they’re
doing with some kind of data analysis. I’ve even had students writing their
final project reports in some courses using Jupyter notebooks. They’re able to
include text like a more typical Word document (or whatever), but also the code
to produce the plots they are asked to include. Very nice way to show them that
the notebook contains everything for someone to be able to reproduce your work.
Open science and reproducibility are being promoted across the sciences in
Finland.

> In contrast, many high schools do nothing with Jupyter Notebooks.  Given our
> "elite school" status, it's legit to point this out.  Parents like to know
> what their
> kids are learning is "ahead of the curve" vis-a-vis your run of the mill high
> school.

Indeed. For us, we have students who often see themselves as unable to learn
programming in the way it might be taught in computer science or physics, for
example. The notebooks and our approach using data they’re familiar with seems
to provide a bit of motivation, as well as helping them see that most anyone
can learn the basic programming concepts. Some take off and run with it, while
others just aim to pass the course, but I feel that many of the students enjoy
the course in general, and also that the notebook format is a good one to help
them get started.

> The workflow I encourage with my students is to establish their own presence
> on Github and to learn how to clone a repo so they can run the Notebooks
> locally (vs in the cloud).  Since I expect them to make Notebooks, I want them
> to have complete localhost control.

Yes, this is indeed a good way to go. We’re fortunate here that our national
computing organisation has worked with us and we now have a cloud platform with
persistent storage that is available to all Finnish university students. Binder
is great for demonstrations, but it is no fun when your instance dies
unexpectedly.

Similar to you, however, we do encourage the students to go ahead and install
some Python + Jupyter things locally on their computers so they have an even
lower threshold for tinkering :).

Best,
Dave

--
David M. Whipp, Professor

Institute of Seismology | Dept. of Geosciences and Geography | Univ. of Helsinki
Seismologian instituutti | Geotieteiden ja maantieteen osasto | Helsingin
yliopisto
+358 (0)2 941 51617 | www.helsinki.fi/en/researchgroups/geodynamics |
twitter.com/HUGeodynamics