Hi,

I've been looking into how Open edX events are created and how at least
some events are sent to Segment.com via Segment's javascript tracker and
Python library (i.e. analytics.track() ).

As far as I can tell, just a few page tracking events and the some internal
events are sent to Segment, such as:
  - edx.bi.user.account.registered
  - edx.bi.user.account.authenticated
  - edx.course.enrollment.activated
  - ...and some other events

Meanwhile, there's a big list of events
<http://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/devdata/en/latest/internal_data_formats/event_list.html>
 in
the docs that are used internally by Open edX's internal event-tracking app
<https://github.com/edx/event-tracking>, primarily I guess for consumption
by Analytics Pipepline (interesting that this list doesn't have the
*edx.bi.* prefixed events).

But I'm curious why *all* events aren't sent through the event-tracking
app, which would then forward to Segment if necessary.

Also, if we wanted to capture and work with events like "registered" or
"authenticated," but don't want to use Segment, any thoughts on what the
best approach would be? Should we update Open edX code to send those
directly to the internal event-tracking app and then figure out how to have
that app forward some/all of events to our own (external) data broker,
where we can do our own integrations to things like Autopilot?

Hoping somebody already had this need and has suggestions on an approach.
I'm wondering if Amazon SNS + Lambda would be ok for our purposes.

Thanks and happy Wednesday!

Daniel