Stanford has adopted an alternative discussion forum software called Piazza
https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/StanfordOnline/OpenEdX/Demo/courseware/Discussions/Discussion_0/

And provided instructions for how to integrate it with Open
edX: https://s3.amazonaws.com/piazza-materials/LTI-Setup/AddingPiazzatoedX.pdf

MIT also has this integration with Discourse, but I've never tried it so I
don't know how well it works.
https://github.com/mit-teaching-systems-lab/discourse-edx-lti

And instructions are here:
https://github.com/mit-teaching-systems-lab/discourse-for-moocsters