Hi Bret,
Thank you for your email and support.
You are absolutely right...
Actually, Ekiga, the software, is not discontinued. Ekiga.net, the SIP
platform that goes with it, will be shutting down by the end of the
year.
However, actually, the state of the software is not better. I have
actively maintained ekiga during more or less 12 to 13 years. A new
version is nearly ready (without instant messaging support anymore, and
without STUN/NAT support). A few years ago, I asked for help to finish
it. It was a call to developers, but nobody answered.
Having to maintain the software, the SIP platform, the websites, the
manuals, the documentation for that new release alone is simply not
possible. It would be if I was unemployed. But in that case, the "free"
as "free beer" aspect of Open Source would be annoying for me :-)
So well, if developers want to keep working on the Ekiga software, they
are welcome. The code is in GNOME's git, available for everyone!

--

Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project

http://www.ekiga.org