On Jun 17, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Mike Morrow wrote:

I'd be curious about the advantages that you see in a K1 LSB-to-USB
conversion.

73,
Mike / KK5F

Mike - I have no interest in listening to SSB with the K1 and have set it up for an 80 kc spread. The advantage to USB CW is that it has long been the standard for CW - even on 160-80-40 where sideband operation is LSB - CW is still USB. I usually start tuning from the bottom end of the band going up and it is often useful to hear what's up the band as you tune higher. For casual operation, it is not that big a deal but in chasing DX it is nice hear the split up frequency. With LSB you would hear the last station worked only if he was below your listening frequency rather than above, especially if the signal is weak. For serious DX chasing, USB CW is the way to go.

That said, the K1 is a very impressive design with clever mechanical assembly features and carefully thought out ergonomics. Wayne and Eric really know their stuff.

By-the-way: The present day LSB - USB band "standards" have their roots from years ago in the availability of 9 Mc crystals / filters - when SSB was experimental and you had to build your own. 9 Mc plus a VFO running at 5.0 to 5.5 Mc gives you 20m USB. Subtract the VFO frequency and you tune "backwards" on 75/80m and you get LSB. There is actually no reason for USB vs LSB on any band anymore. It's just convention from the original experimental designs. 20m and above is USB, below 20m it's LSB. You'll occasionally hear some DX on 20m on LSB to keep the crowd away.

I'd be interested in anyone's attempts at shifting the K1 to USB CW.

73, Steve WB6RSE