In a message dated 6/17/04 2:41:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The present day LSB - USB band "standards" have their roots
> from years ago in the availability of 9 Mc crystals / filters - when
> SSB was experimental and you had to build your own. 9 Mc plus a VFO
> running at 5.0 to 5.5 Mc gives you 20m USB. Subtract the VFO frequency
> and you tune "backwards" on 75/80m and you get LSB.

No, that's just not true. Urban legend. I believed it for years but when I
did the math the truth could not be denied. The only way you get sideband
inversion is if the heterodyne oscillator is above *both* the input and output
frequencies of a mixing process.

Yes, the 9 MHz IF / 5-5.5 Mhz VFO scheme was popular, and it does result in
one band tuning backwards. But it *does not* result in sideband inversion!
Generate USB and 9 MHz and mix it with a 5-5.5 MHz VFO and you get USB on 75
and
20.

The LSB/USB convention for hams goes back to before hams used 9 MHz filters
to generate SSB. .

Now if you use a 5 MHz SSB generator and a 9 MHz VFO you *do* get sideband
inversion.

If anyone wants the exact math, I have it all written up.

73 de Jim, N2EY