> 3) The filter system lent itself easily to transceiver
> implementations. This greatly reduced size, power consumption, cost
> and complexity, because the same oscillators could be used for both
> transmit and receive. Also, the task of zeroing the transmitter was
> mostly eliminated. (Trivia: what was the *first* manufactured HF SSB
> amateur transceiver?)

The earliest I can recall was the Collins KWM-1, introduced in 1957,
but I suspect that may not be the correct answer.  Transceivers of any
sort were not common in the mid-1950s.  My high school principal
(K6AHL) had the first SSB setup I ever saw, a Collins KWS-1 transmitter
with the matching 75A4 receiver, circa 1955.

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net