Hello Jimmy,

I know exactly what you're referring to, and it is not due to the KDSP2, or the KAF2. It is there on the bare-bones K2, although it is primarily audible when using headphones capable of very wide frequency response. I have several pairs of various models of Grado headphones, as well as a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990's, and the thump is noticeable on all. In fact, I can also hear a 'click' as well as a thump.

I've been wanting to investigate this myself, but haven't found the time to do so yet. I've temporarily reduced it to the point where it's a lot less noticeable by placing the series combination of a 3.3 uF cap and 220 ohm resistor in line with the headphones, and shunting across the headphones with a .47 uF cap. The series 3.3 uF will help to reduce the 'thump' by reducing the low-frequency response, and the shut .47uF will roll off the high frequencies, thereby reducing the 'click'. It's still not perfect, but it's a lot better than it was. You may have to play with these values depending upon the characteristics, and impedance of your headphones.

Of course a much easier solution is to just use a pair of cheap headphones, similar to the ones that come with a portable cd player, (especially since you're ruining the response anyway by inserting the caps and resistor) but in my case the comfort level of the Beyerdynamics is enough of a reason to go through the little bit of extra trouble.

73, Dale / WA8SRA

Jimmy Lee wrote:

When I use headphones I have a" thumping" sound everytime I key the rig.
(seems worse on wide range headphones, lots of bass response really
shows this "thumping" sound)  Is this common and what is the fix?
Thanks,
Jimmy, AE4DT
K2  #2832