On Aug 12, 2004, at 3:18 AM, Stewart Baker wrote:
I am asking for feedback from SSB operators on VOX operation on the K2.

a) Do you use VOX ?
b) If not, why not ?

Yes, I use the K2 VOX. There are a couple of reasons. First, VOX is much better in contests, where I frequently operate Phone. Second, although I have a footswitch, I'm now using an SO2R box, as well as a one-message voice keyer. Because of the cabling of each, I can't use the footswitch, so I'm forced to use VOX.

I find the K2 VOX has some limitations. I've replaced R14 on the SSB board with a 3.9k resistor in order to get a bit more responsiveness out of it. The lack of anti-VOX doesn't hurt too bad. It could really use a VOX gain adjustment, however.

During contests, I've often encountered a situation where the K2 just goes completely deaf to VOX. My voice keyer will drop out, even though I can trigger the rig by shouting into the mike. Since I've changed R14, this happens less often.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901