Mike - A new design could have a sealed holder for the batteries or at least some sort of tray. But I don't share your general concern if the batteries are of established quality and the charging circuit is designed correctly.

Speaker wise, I use stereo phones so a jumper from the board to a separate connector on the back of the top for an external speaker would preserve the existing functionality that I prefer.

73, Steve WB6RSE