Weights and springs both work to tension wire antennas...Weights are said
to have the disadvantage of "rebound", but I have never experienced that
here in the northeast...Springs increase the tension on the wire
tremendously as the tree sways and the further the tree sways, the
greater the tension...This can stretch the wire and exceed the breaking
point of some element of the antenna assembly...The tension will always
be the same with a weight, no matter how far the tree sways...For the
last 4 years I have had a 30 meter dipole up using a 2 gallon plastic
orange juice container filled with water and anti-freeze...Works for
me...

Jerry, wa2dkg