Thanks to everyone who commented on the use of the K2's auto-detect feature. The consensus is that it works quite well, although some mentioned problems with straight keys or bugs with dirty contacts.

I have encountered problems caused by contact bounce from bugs with many modern rigs, including the K2 in HAND mode, and so I use a reed relay with a 3.3 uf capacitor and a diode across the coil to clean up the bug's output.

As far as the possibility of inadvertently triggering the auto-detect by squeezing both paddles at the same time, I like W3FPR's advice: try it and see. I think that whether I have trouble will depend on my sending style.

I like the idea of having my keyer, bug, and computer interface all hooked up so I can switch back and forth without changing anything.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco