On Sun, 2004-21-11 at 09:39 -0800, Vic Rosenthal wrote:
> Are you measuring your output with a peak-reading wattmeter or scope?  If
> not,
> you may see very low average indications for SSB.  That doesn't mean that
> your
> peaks are not reaching 100w.

I'm using the cross-needle meter in my MFJ antenna tuner. I've tried it
in both peak and average modes.

I understand that it's not a true peak-reading meter, and that my peaks
will be higher than what I see on the meter. I am seeing quite low
output in both peak and average modes, much lower than I normally see
from a 100W radio. I can put the meter in the low power range (30 W) and
the needle never gets close to full deflection.

Keep in mind this is speaking very loudly, really almost yelling. If I
speak in a normal voice, the needle doesn't make it above 1 watt in
either peak or average mode. Obviously this meter is not going to be
very accurate in the 1 watt range, but what matters is that the needle
is barely moving, even on the low power range.

This does not seem right.

--
73, Brian
VE7NGR