Tom LA1PHA wrote:
A wristwrap and antistatic mat would be nice , but knowing about the problem

and use some common sence ,
you can do without it unless you live in very dry enviroment.

I've done that too, even in a very dry environment. However it's important
to realize that just moving one's arms or shifting around on the seat of the
chair - especially a cloth seat - can produce destructive static charges.
Keep touching the ground repeatedly as you work.

An inexpensive wrist strap is a great investment. Mine has a little Velcro
strap and a snap-on ground wire with the required built-in resistor to avoid
serious shock hazards. I think it cost under US $10.  Another US $15 or wo
will get you a "static dissipative" mat that provides further protection.

Ron AC7AC