Pete,

Display problems like that are often caused by partially soldered connections to the LCD. The pins barely protrude through the circuit board holes and it is easy to get the solder to fill the hole without heating the LCD pin adequately for solder to properly adhere to the pin. I would suggest you re-solder the LCD pins from the top side of the board, making certain that the solder flows on the pin as well as the PC board.

To repeat -- first check soldering, then re-check soldering, and when you have finished, check the soldering!!! (that fixes most problems).

73,
Don W3FPR