Hi Roger:

Actually, I'm quite happy with my 46.1 Ohm reading. After 28 years of mysterious chemical reactions, my Cantenna impedance is still well within 10% of its nominal value. I wonder if a brand new MFJ dry dummy load would be that close.

My Cantenna also contains the Heath-recommended transformer oil. It is (was back then anyway) readily available from commercial electrical suppliers. (BTW, I hope yours is not using askarel; it contains PCBs. Although it was illegal to use askarel in 1978, Heath still published performance figures for Cantennas filled with askarel.)

Although I see no present need to overhaul my Cantenna, I'd definitely be interested in seeing your pictures. If there is a way to post them to the reflector, I expect that other participants would like to see them as well.

You do raise a valuable caution. Cantenna impedance values apparently range fairly widely over the map. If people are trying to measure the power out of a K2 (or whatever rig) by using a voltage measurement and assuming a 50+J0 load impedance, they should only do so if the measurements of the impedance of their specific Cantenna are close to that value.

73,

Steve
Way Down East and bracing for the Nor'easter of '05
AA4AK