Wayne,

If there are no stripes - REMOVE nothing from either the diffuser or the LCD
display.  The white tape/paper never should come off the backlight assembly.

After you finish all the soldering, and before putting the front panel on,
remove the thin clear plastic film from the front of the LCD.  You can
usually scrape up a bit of the corner with a fingernail - if you prefer to
use a tool, be careful not to scrape the hard plastic (glasslike) LCD front
surface.

73,
Don W3FPR