Steve,

I take issue with your statement that both the MFJ-269 and the Autek VA1 are "apparently junk." I have the Autek and the MFJ-259B, the model without UHF, and both are quality although inexpensive instruments. I have used the VA1 for approximately 3 years and the MFJ for 2 years and I have never had any problem with either. I have found the MFJ to be good on battery usage, as is the Autek. I recommend both to an average ham who doesn't need laboratory precision and has the need for the occasional use of an antenna analyzer. In fact the readings obtained by the ARRL Lab show amazing accuracy for such relatively inexpensive units. If you don't need the sign of the complex impedance, the less expensive Autek RF1 is fine. I had one of those too, but I needed the functions of the more expensive VA1.

I have no knowledge o the Palstar.

This is not a flame, but an attempt to set the record straight.