Many pieces of equipment never get a comment from hams when they work as
advertised, or have so many advanced features that most hams never learn to
use them.

Thus, it is likely you hear the war stories of the problem equipment; rather
than of the successes.

In addition to my own MFJ 269, which has been perfect; our clubs locally
have had 3 good 259's, and at work we bought about 3 259B's for various
projects.  All worked and even are useable with "eye ball averaging"  in the
locally high RF field during days from an AM station one mile down the road,
(25 kW).  You can buy an add on series trap kit to bypass RF such as this
from the MFJ's if it is a problem in your application.

The MFJ's have quietly found a place in the tool boxes of many Broadcast
operations, and I would bet they might be made in the numbers that only VOMs
held before.  With so many out in the field, you are likely to get the
occasional failure.  The quality control seems to have improved on the MFJ
products as evidenced by visual inspection of the insides of the analyzers I
have had around, and also those at work.
-Stuart
K5KVH