Don,

 > The Proset iC is an electret element designed for use with Icom
 > radios.  All Heil microphones are not created equal, the type
 > designation is important.

The original question (which I quoted) mixed the two elements but the
answers are still correct: the HC6 element should have no bias and the
CM-500 performs as well or better than either the Proset Elite iC or
Proset Elite HC6.

The Proset Elite is available in two versions HC-6 ("full range dynamic
broadcast element") and iC ("specially designed high performance
electret condenser").  The iC element is used in all of the Heil "iC
mics" including the Proset K2/K3, Proset iC, Proset Elite iC, Quiet
Phone iC, BM10 iC, Handi Mic iC, and iCM .

The Yamaha mic is spec'd at 100 - 20K vs. 80 - 12.5K for the iC element
or 100 - 12.5K for the HC-6.

In either case, the difference in specifications are insignificant
and certainly don't justify 3 x the price - street prices: $44 for
CM-500 (B&H Photo) vs. $149 for Proset Elite HC6 or $159 for Proset
Elite iC (R & L Electronics).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV