This is an easy one.  Push and hold the Mon button as usual then QUICKLY tap
your key down... Doing this will shut off the tone, from there you can operate
the rig while adjusting the Mon "tone" level up and down.  You can still move
the VFO and do other things you need to at the same time incase you aren't
settled on the loudness you've selected.  No more annoying tone while in a
qso.....