Due to varying types of operating requirements it would be extremely
difficult to come up with a "One Operating Setup" that would be any better
than the supplied "Default" settings.

I have tried many of the suggestions offered on this list from time to time
and I would be very surprised if my now current settings were not a mixture
of some of these suggestions.

Without any intention to sounding condescending I firmly believe that new
owners of any of the current crop of amateur radios should really follow the
manufacturers suggestion to read the manual prior to operating. Certainly we
get excited and "need" a "quick fix" by firing the rig straight out of the
box. But still there is no way to replace "fiddling"" with the new toy. The
TX side is fairly straight forward and easy to enough to get right followed
by small adjustments to get it "just right for the individual".

The RX is certainly more complex along with connecting and setting up
auxiliary equipment and operating priorities and again there is no
substitute for perusing the manual as you work through the setup.

Some quick start guides may be advantageous to those who wish to speed up
the learning curve but time spent in front of the rig listening on the bands
is always going to get you to the point where you will find your own unique
settings that work for you.

I have found that starting with your most common mode of operation that you
are most comfortable with will get you on the air quickly with little or no
difficulty. Then simply work through other modes at a leisurely pace.

Just my nickel's worth, keep the change..:-)

73's

Gary

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Hank Garretson <w...@arrl.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM, ussv dharma <ussvdha...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Perhaps, since the K3 IS so versitle, there should be a setting for
> > "beginners".  Using this setting sets everything to a reasonable setting
> for
> > us that dont understand all the K3 settings.  I dont mean a reset, but
> one
> > for beginners.
> >

> The Elecraft K3 default settings!?!?
>

> 73,
>
> Hank, W6SX
>
> Mammoth Lakes, California
>
> Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light

Gary
VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
http://www.qsl.net/vk4fd/
K3 #679
For everything else there's Mastercard!!!