Wes, I think that you're missing the point of what the shift knob does.. Yes,
you can use the RIT to tune someone in but the Shift shifts your IF without
moving your Transmit or Receive VFO position.  This isn't about a tone, this is
about the IF passband.

As for the need for separate IF shift and APF tuning, If I can answer for my
self... I would want it to be separate to control noise, if it works anything
like the Yaesu contour filter (when in peak mode) than it's very nice to be
able to peak signals that aren't always exactly in the center of your IF
passband.  Not only does the Yaesu peak the center of the IF (pitch freq.) but
it would also attenuate the noise floor around it.  Therefore if I have noise
in the center of the IF, and I want to shift away, I may still wish to move the
peak to suppress the QRM along with it.
Sometimes you just have to try something to understand it.  Being able to take
the dial and swing it around with the APF on and hear what peaks and what
suppresses will let you determine how you want to separate the IF pass band
from the APF. It's not unlike how the manual Notch filter works.  As you swing
it around you can hear how it suppresses some signals below or above your IF
passband.

Wayne,  I would like to make my suggestion for where to place these controls.
If it were up to me (with out giving it any more thought than I already have) I
would like to see the "switch" to turn the APF on and off as a HOLD on the AFX
button.  If I'm not mistaken this button is un-used when in CW and SSB mode.
Therefore if you hold the AFX button down in CW it could activate the "effect"
of the APF... As for moving it's position, I was thinking that unless it's
going to be used in SSB mode, you could place the centering position on the
Comp/PWR knob.  Put it in the place of COMP.  Even if someone wanted to use it
for SSB mode they probably already have their Compressor set up as they use it
for their mic.  I don't know that most people use their COMP control every time
they get on SSB.  I would think you set it up for that particular mic and leave
it.  This would make dual use of the Comp knob while still keeping the Width
and Shift knobs operate as they already do.  If i
 t's possible to change the color of the LED I would switch it to Orange or
blink when in the APF mode as an indicator that it's not working the COMP.