Hi Richard,

Like most high-tech companies, we perform a lot of internal testing of
our products before we release them using very small groups of 'alpha
tester' customers. It certainly is not a privileged group. :-) In this
case, we are testing the APF function in a -partially- completed version
of K3 firmware that is not quite ready for wider release. (All of the
matching menu entries are not completed) This gives us early and fast
feedback on any issues. Its also agreed by participants that testing at
this stage runs the risk of unforeseen problems, which is why we do this
first at a very small scale before the next stage of release. The last
thing we want to do is to unleash extremely early K3 code on a broad
swath customers.

Once it passes the alpha test level we then  release it on the web site
as -beta- software for those that wish to try out early releases. At
that stage it is usually very stable and most feedback relates to minor
changes in operation etc.  Once we see good response from that group, we
then go to final release on the web site.

In this case the feedback from the testers was so positive that we
allowed them to go public with their comments. We will be releasing the
code as beta on the web as soon as we add the additional menu features.

Overall our goal is top provide the highest level of quality possible.
this process really helps us get there quickly.

73, Eric   WA6HHQ
www.elecraft.com
---