Mike,

They are both done in the DSP IF, not at audio.
They are two different ways of achieving the same thing.  I use width
and shift for CW, but use HI/LO cut for SSB.  As you indicated, the
voice signal retains intelligibility if only HI cut is changed, but
looses intelligibility quickly as the LO cut is move much above 300 Hz.

73,
Don W3FPR