[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Comrades, I'm working on my code to get my licenses soon.  I will
want to do CW with the k2 I will buy and build on board our trawler.
1st mate and CFO watches expenses like a hawk and will catch me if I
(gasp) buy two things which appear to do same thing. You can't hide
much from her on the 36 boat we live on.

Once again, we see the wisdom of lifepartnering with someone with compatible interests (not to mention separate finances).

Mine (NG3P) wanted in so bad after we went on a picnic with K2 #1641 yesterday that she's now building the KSB2.

If I ultimately intend to use paddles as most of you appear to be
doing, why is it a bad idea simply to start with a set?

While I'm still working on getting my own speed up, I suspect that the keyer vs. straight key argument is a bit of a red herring. The important/central/difficult thing is building receive skills, and once you have that rhythm down I can't see the keying method making much difference...except that a keyer might make it possible for someone to try to send much faster than he's able to send well. Or recieve, for that matter.

Those who hew to the "no pain no gain" school of thought will insist you start with a straight key because it will improve your character. But if the thought of "starting out wrong" worries you, and having both a straight key and paddles is an issue, get paddles, set the menu INP HAND and send straight key with one paddle.

I hope your CFOs anti-redundancy policy doesn't apply to other parts of your ship's gear. Life jackets, oars, rudders, etc. :-)

 73 de Maggie K3XS

--
-----/___.   _)Margaret Stephanie Leber CCP, SCJP/"The art of progress /
----/(, /|  /| http://voicenet.com/~maggie SCWCD/ is to preserve order/