On Oct 31, 2010, at 7:54 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:

> Perhaps a quasi anti-LMS algorithm could be used to establish Auto APF.
> Does such an algorithm now exi[s]t by name?

(For those who are not familiar with "LMS," it was an algorithm created by Ted
Hoff for his dissertation, under the supervision of Bernie Widrow.  Hoff went
on later to design the instruction set for a chip which became the Intel 4004,
the first microprocessor.  Many people know of Hoff as the inventor of the
microprocessor, but fewer know him as the inventor of LMS.)

I really like your idea of experimenting with an auto APF that borrows from
auto-notch algorithms.

I think you can experiment with auto-notching very low SNR carriers to see if
existing LMS algorithms work well enough to use as the core of an APF circuit.
I suspect though, that you *might* need a halfway decent SNR to notch well (or
fast enough).  This is not a problem with existing auto notchers since they are
seldom, if ever, called on to notch away carriers that are right at the noise
level.

If you can consistently and quickly auto-notch low-SNR carriers, then I think
you are spot [sic] on Paul -- an LMS tracked auto APF when RIT is engaged!

If auto-notch does not work well notching low SNR carriers, then the existing
auto-notch algorithm will probably also not work well as an APF peek-seeker.  I
suspect that bin averaging FFTs might be better for finding the location to
peak.  You trade off lots of processor cycles, of course.

If you look at the APF, I think it is really perfectly matched for aural
reception.  The typical APF is very sharp (no "flat top" portion at all in the
frequency response), but the skirts are quite wide and monotonic.  This allows
one to hear a signal even when it is far from the peak.  And since it is
monotonic, you just keep turning the knob until the signal is the loudest,
knowing that you are turning the knob in the correct direction as long as the
tone is getting louder.

Pretty much the only thing you need to be careful about with high-Q digital IIR
filter structures is avoiding the "limit cycle" problem (very low amplitude,
periodic output when there is no input, caused by numerical truncation errors).

73
Chen, W7AY