Joe,

For some reason you keep thinking that Elecraft's APF is being designed and
programmed by Yaesu engineers....  Why is it that just because Yaesu made a
mistake with their rig that it means Elecraft has to destroy THEIR APF just
because they choose to add an adjustable Q control?  You have to have
confidence that the APF can remain exactly the same as Lyle and the gang has
written it while still adding the ability to open it up some?  Just because
Yaesu programmers weren't talented enough not to destroy what they had built
doesn't mean that Elecraft will make the same mistake.
Furthermore there are Alpha testers like myself that will make sure that once
the variable Q has been put in that when set to the Minimum (narrowest) setting
that it will still act and feel like it does now.  Of course you too could do
the same as an Alfa software tester.  This isn't Yaesu where no one listens to
the users once they choose to make a change or adjustment to the code... Your
say WILL matter if things sound different once the feature has been improved
for others.  I really don't think that you're giving Elecraft, it's
programmers, or the Alpha testers such as myself enough credit.

I'm in favor of having a variable Q on this APF system.  It will help improve
copy with a tight algorithm that Lyle has written for this one, while at the
same time allowing me to open the Q so that I can copy not as weak signals with
gain, and less ringing.  I believe that Lyle will not destroy his own code by
adding a feature that Enhances the operation of what he's already created for
us.  If he does, I will be the first to let him know so he can re-program it.
The Dual pass band filter is nice, yes, but if you've used your DPB filter in
the K3 you know as well as I do that it acts NOTHING like the APF with a wider
Q in suppressing noise and improving gain as we're seeing on this current APF.
Again, this is NOT a Yaesu rig...