From: guyk...@gmail.com [mailto:guyk...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Guy Olinger
K2AV
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 7:13 PM
To: Gary Gordon
Cc: Barry N1EU; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] Enhancement request - audio mixing

This reply is not speculation.

We used orthogonal antennas and dual RX K3's in diversity mode at N4A
in the IOTA on Core Banks NC this summer.   It worked very well, and
we had the high North America island expedition score for LP, beating
all but one of the North America HP scores.  A pair of three band
inverted vees running NW/SE and NE/SW fed with 450 line feed and tuned
via a 4:1 balun and the K3 antenna tuners.

What happens is that with both RX on that you do not get the nature of
signal separation you are expecting. You get phasing separation
because the antennas will decode any polarization off pure vertical
and pure horizontal into the same kind of separation you have
listening to a conversation in a crowded room. Signals not low angle
frequently came in on a rotating polarization, moving back and forth
from one ear to the other.  What was quickly clear was that if we
turned off the SubRX, the moving back and forth is converted into
rapid deep QSB that defeats copy.  The LOUD stations tended more to be
in one ear or the other, but those are easy to work.  The WEAK signals
on 40m particularly, would be affected by this rotating polarity.  The
same rotation was heard on the band noise, some of the guys having a
hard time listening to this rotating background. I was constantly
cleanly copying signals that sounded like they were starting on a
fadeout but just rotated through my head to the other side instead.
One has to hear it to understand it.

The complexity you seem to be recommending was unneeded for our best
score ever.  We knew that to transmit, the predominant signals needed
to be in the LEFT ear.  The ANT button just toggled that for us.  We
used the config menu to label one ant "NEAST" and the other "NWEST" so
that came up on the display when we switched it. This was never a
confusion and it was used competently right off the bat by all the
operators.  You're transmitting to the signal in your left ear.  If
it's in the right, hit the ANT button.

If what's in the right ear is making it hard to hear, just hit the SUB
button.  Mixing the channels when doing diversity RX seems to me
anyway to just muddle it and reduce the benefits.

To use the K3 in the way described for N4A requires that the subrx is
set up to use the non-TX antenna of the ANT1 ANT2 pair. This of course
is not compatible with using AUX for diversity listening on RX only
antennas for 160 because that is not internally switched.  I have
solved that by getting the K3 back panel from Elecraft with the "ANT3"
BNC hole punched into it, and a miniplug to BNC cord, which I
shortened on the BNC end. I used this to bring out the "other" antenna
jack from KANT3 to the K3 back panel at ANT3.  Then to do this kind of
thing at FD or next year's IOTA just patch ANT3 to AUX RF and leave
the SubRX listening on AUX RF.

Having used this at N4A, I find NOT having it at home is like
something is missing, and I'm designing my station forward to take
advantage of it.

73, Guy.