With apologies to the reflector participants:

On 11/22/2010 6:11 AM, Dave, W8OV wrote:

> Have salt water and a pump?  Then you may have an antenna for VHF and
> UHF.  See
> <http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/techspecs/26041/?nlid=3794> for
> the story.  A link there will take you to the original site with some
> video and photos.

  I guess that you missed my original reply to this "news".

  Antenna design professionals have dubbed this "voodoo
  engineering" and have decried the original "research" as a
  grant looking for a project.

  Salt water has 10,000 times the resistivity of most metals, and
  therefore almost all the power will be dissipated in heating
  the water "rod".  A bucket of sea water makes a good dummy load
  if there's a way to keep it cool.

  I guess that this urban legend will never die.

  Again, with apologies to the reflector participants.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane  (P.E.)
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402