After you mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, Ron, I bought the AF1
and built it in time for CQWW CW this past weekend.  I'm not a strong
CW operator yet, and these contests are a great opportunity for me to
learn by listening.  I thought the AF1 might help, given my antenna
situation.

Much to my surprise, for the first time I had to use the attenuator on
my K1!  The JA's especially were beating down the door; too bad they
couldn't hear me.  Even so, I found plenty of stations that were faint
enough that I wanted to use the AF1.

At first, I thought it didn't work very well, but then I had a few
stations go from "I can puzzle this out in time" to "hey, that was
easy" after turning on the AF1!  Clearly I'm going to have to play
with it more to understand how to adjust it properly, but it does
work.

I also appreciated how I could have it inline and only turn it on when
needed, and even though I'm in the camp that wonders if it would
really be so hard to design the mini modules to fit in to a box, the
rubber feet kept it stable on top of my K1 even when turning it on
without having to hold it.

I consider the AF1 a good purchase that will get better as I learn
more, and another fun build. Thanks for the tip.

73, Byron N6NUL
K1 #2799
AF1, DL1, N-gen, W1, XG2, BL2

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz> wrote:
> Jeff, I have compared the K3's APF with the filter offered in Elecraft's
> AF-1 Active Filter mini-module kit. There is no difference I can hear in the
> performance. Actually the AF-1 has more flexibility since you have two
> levels of "Q" to choose from, variable gain, and an independent variable
> low-pass filter function.
>
> At $60, it's a great little filter.
>
> For an old vacuum-tube jockey like me it's satisfying to see digital gear
> struggling to do something as well as analog circuits, Hi! I'll hand it to
> Lyle; he succeeded with the APF. It's darn near as good as the AF1.
>
> Ron AC7AC

- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org