On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:26 PM, K9ZTV wrote:

> Sherwood sorts on Dynamic Range-Narrow Spaced, and both rigs are 101db  at 2
> Kcs.

If I correctly grok Rob's numbers, the K3 requires the use of a very narrow
roofing filter (200 Hz) to attain the 101 dB of dynamic range (i.e., the two
"beating" carriers are far away from the passband that the I.F. amplifier, the
2nd Mixer and the DSP codec sees).

>From Rob's table, the K3's 2 kHz dynamic range degrades by 6 dB when you go
>from a 200 Hz roofing filter to a 500 Hz roofing filter.

For a digital mode op, the difference can actually be quite large, and not
simply a case of "edging out."

73
Chen, W7AY