Stephen, I used to feel the same way, having come into Ham radio building
and operating my own gear from the ground up and getting my Commercial
Radiotelegraph and Radiotelephone licenses passing tests demonstrating that
I could draw schematics and block diagrams of equipment from FM transmitters
to high-power amplifiers.

But the world has changed (as it *always* does). Back then that level of
technical knowledge was required of a radio operator just as anyone
seriously planning a road trip in a car in 1905 needed to be a decent
mechanic if he/she expected to get far. Nowadays, people operate cars
without a clue about what's going on under the hood, and do so quite well,
even professionally.

Radio communications has seen a similar evolution. I find the messages here
very instructive, showing me just how much a transmitter, receiver or
transceiver has become a "black box" to many Hams and their challenge is in
operating it and integrating it with other equipment.

They are today's Hams. Many don't know an analog-to-digital converter from a
class AB1 amplifier because they no longer have a need to know to assemble
and operate a modern station.

They need (and deserve) a different level of information about their rigs
that doesn't presume they have an in-depth knowledge of the various circuits
and exactly how they work.

A fascinating challenge to this writer...

Ron AC7AC