Dave,

You can *effectively* increase the AGC threshold by 10 dB very quickly -
just turn on the attenuator.
Actually, that is more effective than reducing the RF Gain because it
happens at the receiver input rather than at the IF.
Yes, you can turn the attenuator of the K3 on whether or not the Preamp
is on.
And, if you have the S-meter set for "abs" (absolute) mode, it will not
change with the attenuator or preamp.

If you have signals high enough to produce greater than an S-3 level,
you will still hear them when you turn the attenuator on, and the
dynamic range of the K3 is retained.

73,
Don W3FPR