Chen,

 > Imagine that there are three parameters, the current two, plus a
 > "upper threshold," after which the slope becomes "15"  (i.e. flat at
 > S0 to THR, then constant "SLOPE" until "upper threshold" and then flat
 > from there until the front end starts to smoke),.

The AGC is already a three piece curve.  Below the AGC threshold (-117
to -99 dBm depending on THR) the audio:RF response is 1:1.  Above the
threshold the audio:RF ratio varies between 0.4 dB/dB to 0.05 dB/dB
(according to K8OZA's measurements) until the HAGC activates between -43
and -48 dBm at which time the output becomes flat (no further increase).

What this discussion appears to be asking for is the option to raise
the level of first inflection point (AGC threshold) from approximately
-99 dBm with THR=08 to somewhere in the mid -70 dBm range without using
the attenuator and losing the weak signals.  That is, nobody wants to
give up the ability to receive a -128 dBm signal by using a 10 or 20 dB
of attenuation when the receiver is easily capable of detecting a -130
dBm signal without use of a preamplifier but they do want reasonable
"level cues" to use in separating signals close to the same frequency.

What is needed is to broaden out the steps in THR from as little as 1
dB per step to something like a uniform 6 dB per step or adding more
steps (e.g., 16 choices at 3 dB/step so that the threshold can be set
over a -117 to -70 dBm range rather than the current limited -117 to -99
dBm range (K8OZA measurements).

Since HAGC does not activate until the RF input reaches -48 to -43 dBm,
one must assume that the IF amplifier, 2nd Mixer and ADC are capable
of functioning properly well beyond the levels generated at -70 dBm
input and raising the threshold even if it means using a flatter slope
would not cause serious performance issues.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV